Sunday, April 10, 2005

Challenge: How many TV's, that are located in different rooms, can you watch simultaneously?

It is tough when English is not your first language ( or for that matter any language that is native to the country in which you live, but is not your mother tongue ).
Sometimes I wonder if it is I who cannot communicate properly and get my questions across correctly or can it actually be that the people I have to communicate with are just plain stupid.

Last installation of the day.
I arrive at a home to install Internet service. To make sure I have proper splitter configuration in order to get the signal I want to the modem I ask the customer my regular question.

"How many TV's in the home do you have hooked up with cable services?"

Side note to the above question: [ Given that it is not illegal to have more than 1 TV hooked up and my company fully supports multiple outlets at no extra charge. It also helps to establish which connections I can eliminate in order to have minimal signal loss for all outlets in the home by eliminating unneeded splitters. ]

Customer answers: "One."

Looking at the connections I can tell that 3 TV lines are connected already. So per my usual routine I like to double check with the customer to make sure I got it correctly.

"So, to make sure I understand correctly, you only have 1 TV hooked up with cable service that you watch and after my installation today you will have 1 TV plus an Internet outlet. Is that correct?"

Customer: "Yes."
Me: "Great."

I go on to change the connections to accommodate my installation. After the installation of the services I check the TV that the customer said they watch to ensure I have acceptable signal strength and reception. I wish the customer to have a good day and make my way to my vehicle. As I am about to drive away I see the customer waving at me attempting to get my attention. I get out of my vehicle and go the door once again.

Customer: "My other TV's are not working anymore."
Me: "Other TV's?"
Customer: "Yeah. The TV's in my 2 bedrooms."
Me: "I am sorry. I thought you told me that you only watch cable services on one TV?"
Customer: "I thought you meant how many TV's I watch at the same time."

I rest my case.

But if you think I should change something in my line of questioning, please feel free to e-mail me or make comments on the blog.

P.S. I hope so far you are enjoying these [hopefully] amusing stories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home